Next race, 24 hours. While watching some great bike racing at Crestmead (Qld.) a couple of days ago with Steve at U-Turn Fitness I asked the question "How I am going to ride for 24 hours?" His reply was "Ride a little slower"
24 hour race plan
1. Nutrition: I have customised my infinit nutrition biddon mix. There is enough of everything in it to do the race on biddons with out the need for anything else.
2. Skills: Smooth, flowing lines. With out the help of Roadie Rob I would probably still be a 'pedal, pedal, pedal...brake, brake, brake...' style of rider still! I used to be a lot harder work until Rob slapped me in the face & showed me some of the most basic mtb skills.
3. Pace: Start slow, medium pace in the middle & finish the day with a solid pace!
4. Rest: This is kept for before & after the race. A 30 sec - 1 min put my feet down every lap or two. This works out a lot better than sitting down for 10-20minutes a couple of times.
5. Fun Factor: I love my racing. There is a lot of time for things to go rough in a 24 hour race. A lot has to go right for a successful ride. Keeping a smile & a sense of humour even when things have gone to shit is what it is about.
6. Motivation: I have seen this pop up in a few discussions over the past couple of weeks. Personal integrity (don't bullshit myself). When I hear an excuse inside of my head that distracts me. I ask myself "Self, are you crapping on?"
7. For me endurance racing is about myself. So many opportunities are presented to learn.
Catch you on the trails sometime.