Well, Huw & his crew again put on a world class mountain bike race!
Early Friday morning I drove to pick up Rhino, Marnie & my new best mate Herbie.
850kms later we stopped for food, sleep, shower & put the bikes to bed. They have a big weekend ahead.
Saturday morning we drove the last 300kms arriving at Bundanoon. This town is about 1 1/2 hours south of Sydney. It is a beautiful town know as "Australia's first bottled water free town" Find out more about that www.bundyontap.com.au
We did the registration thing. We did the Ay Up, sell some lighting systems with a race day special thing. We ate, got most of our race stuff ready then racked out for the evening.
Sunday morning saw a perfect day for a roll around the forest. So here is a race report.
1. Lined up at the front with Rhino. The two Ay Up jerseys looked great.
2. Race is on. 30kms to the first check point & the start of Wingello State forest loop.
As I climbed a slow pinch, Mark Fenner (finished 2nd in the 100mile) climbed passed me. "Hey Mark you have a stick stuck in your derailleur". So I jumped off my bike, jogged beside him, pulled the stick out, gave him a little shove up the hill & jumped back on my bike.
"Hey Rhino, I feel nauseaus" Rhino's reply "Me too! I have already vomited once"
3. 54kms loop of awesome trails in the Wingello State forest. This is when my vomiting started. Quickly turning into dry retching because there wasn't anything left in my guts.
Hey! is that Troy Glennan Rockstar Racing tough guy wheel sucking off me? Sure is!!! Only the 100 mile dudes started 30 minutes before him hehehe... just don't tell anyone. shhhhh...
4. How cool is this, we get to do another awesome 54km loop of the forest! I had the best part of the forest to myself because the 100km riders had left the forest (most of them)
5. There's Rhino at the last check point. "Hey dog! do you want to do the last 25kms together?" dog "fuck yeah!"
6. The last 25 kms Rhino & I hooted up, down, around corners, laughing, hooting & dry retching all the way home. I managed to reel & overtake two more 100 mile riders.
7. Job's done. Australia's only 100mile mtb race. Tick that box. Home in 8 1/2 hours & 9th place.
Craig Gordon took out first place for the second year in a row. ROCKSTAR!
I love road trips. Road trips with good people are simply as awesome as a well executed 'jaman attack'